Developing and managing floodplains in a multifunctional perspective
Our main publications
Click on the image to download the action poster.
Why floodplains in a context of global change?
Floodplains, including deltas, are among the most densely populated regions of the world. They are also crucial in terms of food security because they are home to highly productive agricultural systems, especially rice production. These agro-ecosystems are also extremely vulnerable to flooding and rising sea levels due to climate change. Having been the subject of major investment in water resource control infrastructures for nearly 150 years, the sustainability of these areas is now being called into question, requiring new approaches to their development and use.
What do we do?
In September 2019, we initiated a comparative study of three large floodplains in three countries of the world: the upper Mekong delta in Cambodia, the Daule floodplain in Ecuador and the Gharb irrigated plain in Morocco, which represent the diverse issues faced by floodplains.
In these three socio-ecosystems, we are carrying out studies with national partners that aim to:
- Characterise the complex hydrological functioning of these zones;
- Identify and assess the multiple services that floodplains provide to people.
Three North-South consortia are in charge of conducting these studies:
- IRD/ITC/RUA/ISC in Cambodia,
- AVSF/ESPOL in Ecuador,
- CIRAD/IAV Hassan in Morocco.
We design and conduct participatory activities aiming to renew the territorial planning approaches of these areas. This action is currently being finalised.
The preparatory document:
The issue notes for the Cambodia, Ecuador and Morocco projects:
- Understanding the cambodian upper Mekong delta: towards new approaches for floodplain governance (in English)
- The issues of the floodplain of the Daule river sub-basin (in French)
- The challenges of the Gharb flood plain in Morocco (in French)
You can consult the United Nations World Water Development Report 2018: Nature-based solutions for water